Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tee's Chewy Cookies

Update: 6/1/2010... I made these with my kiddos today (hence, the 3.5 yr-old photo of the boy I've added), and we dubbed them "Scooby Snack Cookies." They love 'em! I did cut them a lot smaller after this plate, as they're sweeter than I remember!

My grandparents used to call me "Tee" and this recipe was one that I remember making by myself in Hawaii when I was about 6 years old. Yes, it really doesn't have any fat in it except from the nuts. Really good, gooey brownie-ish bar cookies - without chocolate. They'd be great with dark chocolate in them, or sub in pecans for the walnuts. Originally from my Mom's friend Belinda:

Mix together by hand (if you're a little kid) OR with a mixer:
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla


Add the following then combine well and pour into greased 8-inch square pan:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts


Bake 20 mins at 350-degrees F. Cut and serve to grownups or kids alike - all love 'em! These are especially great for tea-party treats.

2 comments:

Grammy said...

I found your food blog, very nice. Yep, I got that chewy cookie r from Belinda Hightower, a friend I went to Elk Grove High School with back in the 70's...great photos with the blog!!

Jen said...

This is a WONDERFUL recipe. I have made it many times and often add chocolate chips:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin