Go forth and create!
Jamie's Mississippi Sin Dip
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 - 8 oz. brick of softened cream cheese
1.5 c. sour cream
1/2 c. chopped, cooked ham
1 can chopped green chilis (mild, medium or hot - your choice)
1/3 c. chopped green onions
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Round loaf of sourdough or french bread
Additional bread, crackers, etc. to serve
Set the bread round aside, and combine all other ingredients in a bowl. To prep bread, slice the top off of the loaf, and hollow out the inside to make a bread bowl (leave 1/2-inch edge). Cut up remaining bread "insides" for serving. Next, fill the bread-bowl with dip, replace top, wrap in foil and bake at 350-degrees F for 1 hour.
* You can go with "light" on the sour cream and cream cheese, but don't go non-fat. Just don't do it. Non-fat cream cheese and cheese are just wrong; they are alien-like substances that should not be ingested. Ever.
** If you double the recipe (a good plan), you can bake the extra 1/2 of the dip in a covered casserole to refill the bread bowl with during your event.
*** Instead of ham, chilis and green onions, I've tried these variations with success:
- Artichoke hearts, green onions, garlic (fresh tomatoes stirred in when taken out to serve)
- Smoked salmon, minced fresh jalapeno, and replace cheddar with white cheddar
- Chopped chicken, red onion, jalapeno, replace cheddar with jack cheese (cilantro and mango stirred in at the end)
- Chopped up (cooked) Shrimp Scampi (frozen-box from Costco), plus fresh chives tossed in at the end.
- Feel free to add whatever you think would be tasty!